Building credit history before moving to the US


1 comment

  • Avatar
    Stilt Team (Edited )

    Building credit is an important step if you plan to move to the U.S. for the longer-term. Unfortunately, you can't build credit before moving to the U.S. You will need a U.S. bank account, a U.S. address, and some form of credit to start building a credit history. This credit can be in the form of a credit card, a loan, or something else.

    Banks and other lenders in the U.S. won't provide you any credit if you are not already here, preferably on a legal and valid visa. They'll need these for KYC (Know Your Customer) purposes.

    The best thing to do would be to come to the U.S., open a bank account and then get some form of credit to start building a credit history.

    Hope this helps.

    Feel free to reach out to us at if you have further questions.

    About Stilt:

    Stilt provides loans to international students and working professionals in the U.S. (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) at rates lower than any other lender. Stilt is committed to helping immigrants build a better financial future.

    We take a holistic underwriting approach to determine your interest rates and make sure you get the lowest rate possible.

    Learn more about us on Wikipedia or visit us at If you have any questions, send us an email at

    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.