1 comment

  • Avatar
    Edmundo Daco Jr.

    H-1B visa holders can bring their spouse and children to the US through H-4 visas. They can live in the US as long as the H-1B visa is valid. H-4 holders, like other non-immigrants, can build a credit score so they can take advantage of the loan products (like auto loans) and credit lines available from banks, credit unions and lenders. However, it will be difficult to start building credit on your own, especially if you are a teenage H4. A spouse on H-4 can apply for Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to be able to find employment and apply for loans and secured credit cards on their own, which will help build credit.

    On the other hand an H-4 who is less than 21 years old is not allowed to find a job and is not eligible for an EAD. This makes it difficult for them to apply for credit cards and loans. What they can do is to ask to become authorized users of their parents' credit cards. By doing so, both the H-4 holders and H-1B parents will earn credits. Once you get enough credit, you can now apply for a car loan, but make sure to have your parents co-sign the loan to get a better chance of approval.

    Note: This is not a legal advice.

    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.