1 comment

  • Avatar
    Edmundo Daco Jr.

    Yes, you can. F-1, J-1, H-4, L-2, TD, and O-3 visa holders who are studying in the US are all allowed to apply for credit cards. However, it would not be easy. Banks require a good credit score and other proofs that you are capable of paying for your debts. As an international student, you probably don't have credit score yet nor an income source. Still, there are some things that you can do to get yourself a credit card.

    First, get a part-time on-campus job. This will enable you to get some cash and open a savings account, which will help you in credit card application with the same bank. Second, you can apply for a secured credit card (requires a cash deposit), which has an easier application compared to an unsecured credit card but you will still be able to build credit score. You can also build a good credit score by being an authorized user of someone else's credit card and getting personal loans from private lenders, like STILT. You will be able to get loans with limited or no credit history.Once you have a good credit score, you will be able to apply for more credit cards.

    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.