1 comment

  • Official comment
    Stilt Team (Edited )

    The major benefit is that you can actually get a loan. If you are an international student and don't have a credit history, you won't be able to get a loan in the U.S. (or it will be really difficult). There may be some bank or credit union who may give you some type of loan but usually, they don't.

    A cosigner, who is a U.S. citizen, can help you get a loan - it is their credit history that will be considered to determine whether you could be given a loan. They will need to take the burden of your debt on their shoulders until you start working and pay off the loan. You can also refinance in the future and that may help you reduce your rates but most lenders also don't lend to H-1B visa holders.

    Generally, banks only accept a U.S. citizen as a cosigner but at Stilt, we are also able to accept cosigners who are not U.S. citizens. You can get your spouse or a friend on H-1B as a cosigner. This helps thousands of people who don't know a U.S. citizen but know a lot of visa holders.

    Hope this helps.

    Feel free to reach out to us with any questions at We are always here to help.

    About Stilt:

    Stilt provides loans to international students and working professionals in the U.S. (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) at rates lower than any other lender. Stilt is committed to helping immigrants build a better financial future.

    We take a holistic underwriting approach to determine your interest rates and make sure you get the lowest rate possible.

    Learn more about us on Wikipedia or visit us at If you have any questions, send us an email at

    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.