1 comment

  • Official comment
    Stilt Team

    Yes, you are required to leave the US for one year if you have already completed 6 years working on an H-1B visa. The 6-year time frame does not include the days you are outside the US for business or personal travel purposes. Secure proper documentation of these travels abroad as so the days will be deducted from your total time inside the country. This way, you can maximize the 6-year limit.

    However, there are certain situations when an H-1B visa can be extended for a year. One is when you have a labor certification filed for you a year before your 6 years end. Also, if your labor certification has already been approved but your green card is still pending, your visa may still be extended. On the other hand, if your I-140 was already approved but with a pending labor certification, your visa can be extended for three years.

    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.