1 comment

  • Avatar
    Stilt Team

    The process for visa transfer is pretty straight forward. When you find a new job, your new company's lawyers would ask you for some documents. These documents include but not limited to:

    • Copy of your visa stamp
    • Copy of your most recent H1B visa approval notice (Form I-797) and all previous approval notices
    • Copy of your University Degree
    • Resume
    • Copy of your Social Security Number and all the pages of your Passport
    • Copy of I-94 records
    • About 3 months of pay stubs (but 2 or 3 might be fine)
    • W2’s and tax returns, if required

    The lawyer will create a filing for USCIS to transfer the visa to your new company. This process used to take a couple of weeks, but not it takes a few months on average. After it's filed with USCIS, your employer on file changes but you won't have to do anything until you leave the country.

    If you leave the country, you have to get a new H-1B stamped on your passport - which is a fairly straightforward process. In some cases, you may not even have to go for the interview, you can just drop off your passport at the embassy (or their service location), they'll stamp the visa and send it back to you.

    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.