1 comment

  • Avatar
    Stilt Team

    Yes, you can go for a Ph.D. on H-4 visa but make sure you understand the pros and cons.

    If you go through the H-4 route, getting a work visa after education will be difficult. Converting H-4 to H-1B is fairly difficult especially if your spouse doesn't have an approved I-140.

    If you go through the F-1 route, you'll have to change H-4 to F-1 (which is fairly simple), then you can get OPT (if you are a STEM major) and finally H-1B. This can serve you well if you also want to work after graduation and your spouse doesn't have an approved I-140.

    Most people choose the F-1 path if they can't work on H-4.

    Hope this helps you make a better choice.

    About Stilt:

    Stilt provides loans to international students and working professionals in the U.S. (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) at rates lower than any other lender. Learn more about us on Wikipedia or visit us at If you have any questions, send us an email at


    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.