1 comment

  • Avatar
    Edmundo Daco Jr.

    Yes, you will be in trouble if you continue to stay in the US to look for a job with an expired L-1B visa. That means you have exhausted the validity period of your visa. An L-1B visa is valid initially for a year, which can be extended for increments of 2 years until the maximum of 5 years is reached. So after 5 years, the person must get a new non-immigrant visa to be able to stay in the US. If not, then you must leave the US and go back to the international location of the company where you initially worked.

    The best thing to do is to start looking for an H-1B job, or TN if you are Canadian or Mexican, before the L-1B visa even expires, like a year prior to the expiration. Getting an F-1 visa can also be an option. If you have an H-1B spouse, then getting an H-4 visa is another option. The key is to get a new non-immigrant visa so you won't overstay with an expired visa.

    Note: This is not a legal advice.

    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.