1 comment

  • Avatar
    Edmundo Daco Jr.

    An H-4 visa is a non-immigrant visa that enables spouses and children (under 21 years old) of H-1B visa to stay in the US for the entire duration of H-1B visa's validity. H-4 visa holders may study in any US college, university or school at any education level. They are also allowed to travel in and out of the US, just as long as the H-4 visa is valid. On the other hand, H-4 visa holders are not to do any income-generating work while staying in the country, unless they acquire an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

    An EAD allows eligible H-4 spouses to gain employment or run a business in the US legally. It is valid for an initial period of two years and can be renewed for increments of two years, as long as the H-4 visa is valid. An H-4 holder is eligible for an EAD if the principal H-1B spouse is a recipient of an immigrant worker petition or has an extended H-1B visa validity for more than six years. An eligible H-4 spouse may apply for an EAD by submitting a Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) to the USCIS with other required documents.

    Note: This is not a legal advice

    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.